About Reading Partners
Reading Partners is a nonprofit that works to expand opportunities for underserved elementary school children by empowering them with strong literacy skills through one-on-one tutoring. Working with Reading Partners requires absolutely no formal teaching experience required, as we provide all the necessary materials and the ongoing support of a Site Coordinator and Program Manager. Our Reading Centers’ schedules vary, but in general operate Monday through Thursday, between the hours of 8:00 and 4:00 pm.
WPP is a subsidized work experience initiative that provides participating young adults with paid work experiences. Through WPP, Reading Partners receives funds to provide wages to low-income young adults (aged 16-24) who have been placed in short-term work experiences that last 12 weeks.
We are seeking WPP Apprentices to provide one on one literacy tutoring to K-4th grade students. WPP Apprentices earn $15/ hour for 12 hours of work a week for 12 consecutive weeks.
What you’ll do:
- Providing one-on-one tutoring to elementary school students reading below grade level, using our structured curriculum.
- Attending weekly professional development trainings
- Assisting in coordinating tutoring materials for volunteers.
- Arrive on time to all training, professional development, and tutoring
- You must be 16-24 years old
- You must be a high school student, part-time college student or not in school
- You must have valid work authorization in the United States
- You must not have received WPP wages in the past
- You are able to commit to 12 hours of work per week for 12 consecutive weeks beginning in February through May 2020
- You also have a/an
- Willingness to learn about tutoring strategies.
- Patience working with students who need help learning.
- Ability to work independently or with limited supervision.
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse groups.
- Ability to commit to a schedule and show up promptly when expected.
- Employment will be terminated if all required qualifications above are not met.
What we offer:
Reading Partners offers the full package – a great place to work and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
- We offer compensation of $15/hour. This is a part-time, non-exempt, hourly position.
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us.
- Additional training, resources, and professional development are provided to all WPP Literacy Intervention Tutors. Letters of recommendation are available upon successful completion of the term.
The other things you need to know:
- Travel: This position may travel throughout New York City.
- Typical Physical & Mental Demands: Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, and eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with volunteers and staff. It also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
What’s next? How to Apply
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners team, please choose one option below to apply:
- Complete our online application or
- Contact our Volunteer Coordinator Jhamie Schultz at 646-395-3831 or at email@example.com.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Organization, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.View Company Information